Friday, October 9, 2009

There's Something Magical about Mr Rackham



Recently I was introduced to the works of the master of art Arthur Rackham (you just know he's good 'cos he's got 'art' in his name *chuckleslikeitwassomekindofdadjokeandIamsomekindofdad*)


I personally don't know how I haven't stumbled across him somehow in my late night internet rambles, but apparantly not. Except that upon further meditation I realised that I had seen one of his works years ago in one of my fairy books, in which he'd illustrated the Goblin Market; "You should not eat their fruits, who knows upon what soil they fed their hungry, thirsty roots..."



In any event this man is the master and I found going through a book of his art that I was somehow transported back to the days of my youth in which I would pore over every fairytale I could find and devour it whole. Having made illustrations for a veritable smorgasboard of fairytales, as well as classics such as Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and even Shakespeare's A Midsummer Nights Dream Arthur Rackham simply dominates my universe.






I somehow feel like I've seen this Alice in Wonderland piece before, it's somewhat iconic I imagine.












This one was the cover art for the book on Rackham, which I think should have been titled "Arthur Rackham; the art of AWESOME" but was somewhat more demurely named.
And so I propose a toast to Arthur Rackham and his art, which is simply: MAGICAL.

No comments: